Sunday, April 3, 2016

Rhetorical Analysis of Project 3

In this blog post I will be focusing on the rhetorical situation for project 3. I will be discussing my topic in depth and analyzing the rhetorical situation and context that I will need to understand in order to begin producing my project.

Author:

  1. How will you draw on any or some of the following for Project 3? Be specific about how your plans for Project 3 connect to some previous, current or burgeoning interest of your own

    • your own general research interests

  • I have always been interested in the issue of homelessness. I grew up in Albuquerque, New Mexico, a city that has one of the largest homeless populations in the U.S. Growing up in an environment where this epidemic is so prevalent has made me very sensitive to the opinions of others on the topic.

    • other subjects of interest you have encountered here or elsewhere in your recent studies.

  • I, personally, have never felt real oppression or dealt with not having a roof over my head but in my academic studies, as I learn more about the world, I have become increasingly interested in issues of equality and equal opportunity. I want to do my project on the Homeless community and base my argument on the opportunities that the homeless population is not able to have.

    • current-day social, cultural or political issues that you follow and are interested in.

  • I've argued with people about this before actually, I believe that it is a prevalent argument in real life as when driving around it's hard not to see a homeless person.

       2.     What are the preconceptions, previously held opinions and/or potential areas for
               personal bias that you should be aware of for Project 3? What about any of the
               following?:
Your family of origin, and the spoken or unspoken set(s) of “family values” that come with belonging to that family.

  • Treat others as you want to be treated. The golden rule (no direct bias)

The social class of yourself/your family (consider honestly your family’s level of access to wealth, real estate, travel, leisure, luxury items, etc.).

    • Upper Middle Class, no personal relationship to homelessness (no direct bias)

    The location/geography where you were raised, and whatever local norms, customs, attitudes, traditions, and/or prejudices come with belonging or not belonging.

    • Albuquerque, NM top 100 Homeless cities (influence but not bias)

    Audience:

    How are you thinking about your audience for this project? Who are you going to make this for? 
    • My audience for this will be non-homeless adults. I believe my audience will be Americans, as I plan to write about homelessness in the US, who have an interest in the idea. I want my argument to be informational and swaying and I want it to be created for people who have enough knowledge both from my project and from their own lives, to think critically.
    What beliefs and assumptions might this audience already hold? What position are they likely to take on this issue? How will you respond to that position?
    • I chose this topic because in the past I've had arguments with people about this issue so I know that the majority of people believe that homelessness is a choice that people make. A choice to not go to school, to quit their job, to be overzealous with their money, whatever it may be people think homeless people are lazy and pathetic.
    How might they react to your argument?
    • My Argument may be shocking and I knew people will disagree but I think it will be influential and, at the least, educational.
    How are you going to relate to or connect with your audience? Are there any specific words, ideas or ways of arguing that will help you relate to them in this way?
    • Relating it to real life. Seeing panhandlers on the street, real life experience.
    Think of one specific person or a set of people you know personally or professionally who fall within the definition of ‘target audience’ you’re using for Project 3. What could you tell them or say to them in order to convince them of your perspective? What would need to happen for them to agree with you?
    • My mom. She has always been interested in the homeless epidemic in NM. She is educated and informed and in order to get through to my mother she needs facts. She does not just believe what she is told, she's too smart for that. I need evidence or statistics in order to convince my momma.
    Purpose/Message:

    What do you want to accomplish with Project 3? What affect do you want it to have on your intended audience?

    • I want to change peoples minds about drug use in the homeless community. I want to create an argument that is persuasive and effective and will, at the least, make people rethink their previous beliefs.
    Once you’ve done all your research and figured out what you think about the controversy you’ve chosen, what still needs to be accomplished?
    • Production and figuring out how to edit/shoot/create video footage. I need to talk to classmates about how they are or have created video essays and what the used to make it.
    Context: 

    What are the particular circumstances surrounding this assignment? 
    • I'm not entirely sure what this means but I will be focusing on homelessness in the US as a whole. I think I will include information about the most impoverished states as well. The who will be homeless people, both addicts and non-addicts. I will also be using a conversation I had with a homeless man last year as evidence. I will be needing to draw on a lot of footage that others have shot for my video essay as having me spew an argument is not interesting.
    Genre:

    What course genre will you be writing in for Project 3?
    • Podcast
    What kinds of audience expectations come along with this genre, generally?
    • The audience is generally young and tech savvy to a degree. Often on the go/busy. Like to multitask while getting their news and choose to listen instead of read in order to gain info quickly.
    What is your history working in the genre you have selected for Project 3?
    • No history at all... I'm actually VERY nervous about this genre
    Describe your comfort level and general feelings about the genre. How will they affect your work on Project 3?
    • I amVERY uncomfortable with the genre but it may be good because I know how much time I need to poor into this now and I will be giving it a lot of attention.
    What are the two most effective conventions in this genre, in your opinion? Why? Be specific


    1. The ability to show inflection through the human voice, very important when arguing. Inflection can make the passion and anger and feelings of an argument very obvious and very real for the listener. 
    2. The ability to incorporate music to affect the mood. When arguing you do not want your mood to be misconstrued and using music is a very effective way to pull at the heart strings without seeming bitchy or over-the-top.
    When:

    Are there any historical events that might impact how your audience perceives your argument or the kind of background information or evidence you need to include? For instance, does media reporting on any of the following involve your issue/subject for Project 3?
    • I have read a few articles lately about rising homeless populations but, at this point, I don't think there are any real historical events that I will need to pull from.
    What are the three or four major counter-arguments you’ll have to respond to, based upon what people are saying in the press/media? Be specific and cite your sources using working hyperlinks.


    1. One counter argument to my stand is that drug use in the homeless community is not a big deal or an issue that needs to be addressed, after all they're poor and wouldn't spend all of their money on drugs, right? http://cjonline.com/news/2016-04-02/sex-hope-and-prosecution-agencies-fight-sex-trafficking-shawnee-county
    2. They choose to continue doing drugs, after being on the street they don't have to keep doing them. People treat homeless people as less than human. They seem to forget their compassion and instead look down on the homeless community as a plague. People forget that addiction, as it happens to people in any socioeconomic tier, is hard and cannot just simply be fixed. http://alcohol.addictionblog.org/drug-and-alcohol-abuse-and-the-homeless/
    3. Homeless shelters are a place of refuge, a home. This is not true. Many homeless american's sleep on the street to avoid drug culture in the shelters. http://www.businessinsider.com/sleepingin-a-homeless-shelter-2012-1


    3 comments:

    1. Julia,
      It seems like you've taken a lot of time and effort to really understand the project from this in depth analysis of the rhetoric of the project.
      One minor thing that I noticed was that the first few questions of this post are blacked out with the background, and are near impossible to see on the blog.
      Onto the real comments.

      You did an excellent job in understanding the genre and audience of the podcast segment. Having just finished a video essay I am glad you are putting in the effort to learn about the genre, especially when you haven't worked in it before.

      The one area I believe you struggled a bit in was developing your relationship to the issue you will be focusing on.

      On the political spectrum, I believe you didn't focus enough on potential relevant laws or up and coming stories that may have an effect on your project, as homelessness is a massive issue and I'm sure big stories sprout up all over the place, maybe even locally.

      Also, I believe that the family background you have, being a upper middle class college student, means that you have no real experience with the type of issues homeless peoples may face. While you do touch on the issue early on developing the author, I believe you may want to develop that idea a bit more and push why you want to learn more about that in this project.

      Otherwise I believe you have a well thought out rhetorical analysis which will provide a strong foundation for your project. Keep it up!

      ReplyDelete
    2. Hey Julia!
      I looked at your Rhetorical Analysis for Project 3 and I think your content has a lot of potential! This is a really interesting topic that I think is an important public argument sometimes overlooked by many people but nonetheless important to our community. Your analysis has clearly captured the goals of the Project 3 assignment description because you thoroughly outlined the topic, why it's important, the many sides to the argument, and your own opinion (and why you believe that).
      You also gave a lot of detail into what particular homeless population (and controversy) you'll be looking at: New Mexico, where you are from, and where this has been a major problem for a long time). I think you also have a good idea of your audience for this project and who would be listening to your podcast so that you can design your draft so that it takes into account the interests and background knowledge that listeners may already have. Considering the counter arguments that you listed along side the target audience may also be helpful in deciding what specific content to include in your first podcast draft. One idea that I had would be to try and find sources from homeless people that have spoken out on the issues or from someone who used to be homeless and pulled themselves up and/or were able to transform their life somehow. This would be a very powerful source in the project if you were able to find something like it.
      Because you are doing a podcast, I think using sound effects and your own voice to draw on the audience's emotions for this sensitive topic will be very effective in presenting the public argument. Again, your work is looking great so far and I wish you luck in next week's production work!

      ReplyDelete
    3. Hey Julia!

      I think you really seem to understand your topic in terms of knowing exactly what you want to look into; that's great! I noticed that you mentioned wanting to touch the homeless population of the entire U.S. I'm wondering if for time purposes and detail purposes, it might be more beneficial to focus on specific areas? You might be able to use this information to extrapolate on it to then make generalizations about this entire population across the U.S. Other than that, you seem like you are very prepared and have good some good first person experience.

      Good luck with the project! :)

      ReplyDelete