Saturday, February 6, 2016

Analysis of My Rhetorical Situation

Schweihofer, Stefan. "Triangle". 10/01/2014 via Pixabay.
CC0 Public Domain.
Analyzing the rhetorical situation of a literary work allows the reader or viewer to better understand the contextual value of the work. Outlining the rhetorical situation before creating a literary work gives a baseline for the work that may act as a loose frame to keep the author on track. In this post I will be outlining the rhetorical situation for my controversy: The wage Gap between men and women in Hollywood.

1. Audience

The controversy I chose is centered around popular culture and therefore would probably be best suited for younger people say 18-45 years of age. The issue deals with popular U.S. movie stars in Hollywood limited the pool of interest to people, most likely Americans, who watch and enjoy films and movies that these characters (Jennifer Lawrence, Sandra Bullock, Bradley Cooper, etc.). The issue, I believe, also leans toward the feminist issues side. I believe that this is an issue that men can certainly be interested in but the main audience I believe will be women (If I was writing a piece on how these women do NOT deserve more than they are currently getting I believe the gender of the audience may be different). I believe that the audience of this article would have a large range of academic and professional backgrounds. Both educated and uneducated people love movie stars and no specific profession would be less interested than any other. Middle class to wealthy people are probably more likely to read this as the lower classes would be more likely to associate the female actresses plea for more money (equal pay) with greed.

I believe the readers will value you facts and figures in addition to dialog. Because the controversy deals with money I think that figures demonstrating and showing the wage gap will be crucial.In addition to figures I think other visual aides will be important. Because the article is about Movie stars and the audience is likely to be comprised of fans who support the actresses or actors I believe that photos of the stars will be important.

2. Purpose

I think the main purpose of this literary work is to inform readers of both sides of the issue so they can make an educated decision on their position. It will be very important for me to stay unbiased and express only facts about the issue. I do not want to sway the reader in either direction but instead provide them with all of the information I can in order to enable them to decide on their own. In addition to providing facts about both sides I also want to integrate why this issue is significant in areas other than Hollywood as pay differences are at the heart of the controversy. As a part of staying unbiased I feel I need to keep from shedding a bad light on the characters(stakeholders). Some of the stakeholders have said some rash things making them seem insensitive to the issues at hand and I believe that I will need to find a way to present the quotes and goings-on but avoid the insensitive nature.

The controversy is current and still going on making it an ongoing issue that needs to presented as such.

3. Author

Well, obviously, I am the author of this QRG piece! I believe that I am fit to be the author of this piece because, not only is it something that I am interested in, but I have researched it thoroughly  and it applies to both of my majors: Arts and Business. I recognize with not necessarily feminism as that seems to carry a sort of stigma, but with equality. This controversy is about equality, not women over men or men earning too much, but instead women who work just as hard as men and are not compensated in the same way men are. I am very interested in this issue as I am interested in equality as a whole. Last semester my honors colloquium course was titled "Policing after Ferguson" and dealt with issues of equality in race, power, and social standing. The entire course was dedicated to speaking intelligently and openly about the issues of equality. In that class we heard every persons opinion making me sensitive to both sides of the argument. Because of this I believe I will be able to effectively display both sides of the story despite my favoring towards equality. 

No comments:

Post a Comment